The school year has come to an end and summer vacation has started. Many families might be looking for fun ideas to keep their kids busy this summer. Have no fear! South Washington County Schools Early Learning has you covered. Keep reading to learn more about fun, family-friendly activities in our community.
- Where in the World is Mr. Sun?-Oh, Mr. Sun, Sun, Mr. Golden Sun…Participants in our ECFE class are familiar with our goodbye song. This summer Mr. Sun will be making an appearance at various events and locations in our community. Follow our Facebook and Instagram pages to find clues about where Mr. Sun will be and then come join him for some fun activities. #whereintheworldismrsun
- Skoolie-South Washington County Schools Community Education will be hosting Skoolie Free Family Fun Nights. Join our Skoolie crew for free books, games, crafts, and food from 5 to 6:30 pm at the following locations:
- Mondays, Royal Oaks Elementary
- Tuesdays, Newport Elementary
- Wednesday, Pullman Elementary
- Thursday, Armstrong Elementary
- Storytime at the Washington County Library-Our friends at the Washington County Library offer several storytimes throughout the week at various locations. Check out the events schedule to find one that works for you.
- The Puppet Wagon-Woodbury Parks and Recreation’s Puppet Wagon is back. The wagon travels throughout our community to various parks each day of the week. Days, locations and times can be found here.
- Starlight Cinema-Woodbury Parks and Recreation also hosts movies in the park throughout the summer. Grab your bug spray, blanket and snacks and head over to Ojibway Park to catch a fun, family-friendly movie. View the movie schedule here.
- Early Childhood Family Education(ECFE) Summer Playdates-Come join other ECFE families for play time. Our playdates are once a week and are a great place to play and connect with other families. Playdates are held once a week on Thursdays 9-11 am through June and July at Colby Lake Park, 9715 Valley Creek Rd, Woodbury.
There are also many easy and fun activities to do at home with your little ones.
- Make a chalk obstacle course. Use chalk to draw out an obstacle course for your child to do. Some ideas to include in your obstacle course are jump, hop, spin, touch your toes, clap your hands, roar like a dinosaur, stomp your feet, skip and so much more.
- Blow bubbles. Kids love bubbles. Pick up some bubbles at the store or make your own homemade bubbles and enjoy. Here is an easy bubble recipe:
- 1 cup water, 2TBSP corn syrup, 4TBSP liquid dish soap
- Do an outdoor scavenger hunt. Make your own or find one online for free. Here is an example to get you started.
- Play games like tag and Duck, Duck, Grey Duck outside.
- Go to your local park or playground as a family.
Whatever you do this summer, we hope you and your family have a safe and enjoyable summer. We look forward to seeing many you in the fall!